Foundation University is a free, evangelical Christian organization. The college started as a night Bible institute on January 7, 1941. Two hundred and eleven understudies selected in Bible courses intended to make them more successful lay workers in nearby churches. Classes were held two evenings for every week in the educational wing of Wealthy Street Baptist Church in Grand Rapids, Mich. Charges for regularly understudies were $2 per term! The reaction to the program and the expressed want of numerous students to go into ministry prompted the introduction of a day school in 1944, which offered two-and three-year programs of study.

In 1945, the hiring of seminary-educated professors raised the level of training for ministry. As an essential to entrance into the pastoral ministries program, at least two long years of general education, including Greek and philosophy, was required. In 1955, the seminary college moved to concede just students with baccalaureate degrees. Steps were additionally taken to change both the level and the capacity of the Bible Institute to a degree-granting, undergrad institution. One of the alternatives considered was to become a liberal arts college. Funds and staff did not satisfactorily support that move, and in 1963 the Bible Institute turned into a state-affirmed Bible College, contracted to offer the Bachelor of Religious Education and Bachelor of Music degrees.

The institute kept on developing and form into a day and night school. In the long run, a Bible college started and the Bible foundation turned into a four-year Bible school and theological school. The Bible College incorporated the general training of the pre-seminary school course, included six 15-20 hour concentrations in the human sciences to its educational programs, and turned into a four-year school with a two-year general education base and a noteworthy in Bible. In 1964, the school and seminary school moved to another 64-section of land grounds, and that year the school was gotten as an individual from the American Association of Bible Colleges. The campus is currently 132 sections of land.

In 1972, with the development of offices, staff and finances, the institution was affirmed by the State of Michigan as a degree-granting college of arts and sciences. In 1977, the organization was certify by what is presently the Higher Learning Commission (230 N. LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411, 312-263-0456). Information and documents with respect to accreditation are accessible for public inspection through the Office of the Executive Vice President. In 2001, the establishment was certify by the National Association of Schools of Music.

In 1993, Grand Rapids School of Bible and Music was joined to the institution for the protection of its rich heritage and academic records. The next year (June 1994), the name of the establishment was changed from Grand Rapids Baptist College and Seminary to Cornerstone College and Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary. In 1993, the school likewise established the Professional and Graduate Studies (PGS) program for grown-up students who want to finish their higher education from a Christian foundation. Since its origin, PGS has tried to engage the grown-up learner to impact the world by giving an unmistakable and academically magnificent training from a Christ-centered perspective. With regularly developing projects in business, instruction, ministry, human administrations, TESOL and brain research, PGS’ on-ground and online projects have affected students around the world.

On July 1, 1999, after endorsement by the State of Michigan, Cornerstone College and Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary moved toward becoming Cornerstone University. In June 2003, the graduate theological school wound up Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. Cornerstone University holds enrollments in the Council of Independent Colleges, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan, the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM , since 2001) and the Higher Learning Commission.