Mold is everywhere. It’s in the air, it’s outdoors, and it’s common in buildings and homes wherever moisture can be found. Mold spores can enter your home through open windows, doorways, and vents. After a flood event, mold thrives in water damaged buildings. If it’s not removed immediately, it can impact the wood framing of your home and cause significant structural damage. Exposure to indoor mold growth can also be linked to adverse health effects. Grand Rapids Mold Removal, wants you to be aware of the dangers so you can protect your family and your property.

Mold feeds on organic matter. If it infests building walls, insulation, or carpeting, it can break down those surfaces and destroy them. In the aftermath of a water intrusion problem, mold growth can cause serious structural damage to a building. Often, mold can attach itself to your personal belongings and cleaning it becomes difficult or impossible!

For people who are susceptible to mold caused illnesses, symptoms can range from sneezing and coughing to asthma, rash and difficulty breathing. More severe reactions are also possible, especially for people with chronic lung diseases or who have a compromised immune system. Although symptoms and the severity of health effects vary greatly on the person and the mold they are exposed to, Grand Rapids Mold Removal, recommends that if you detect the presence of black mold, or any mold, in your home or business, call a professional to have it removed.

You may find small patches of mold in the bathrooms of the older homes that you browse through, or a slight build up of mold around the windows and doors of the newer homes built with an airtight design. These are usually insignificant, and merely an indicator that there is a high level of moisture in the house. With a thorough clean up and a few changes to the airflow, a house with this amount of mold does not usually create a problem.

However, if you spot a moldy patch that is larger than a three-foot square area, or if you notice a strong odor of mold in the house, there is very likely a crucial problem. Simple clean ups and airflow alterations may not be sufficient to render the place a healthy home for your family; especially when the fungus has developed in the walls. If any member of your household suffers from asthma, allergies or other health conditions aggravated by mold, even a small amount can be dangerous to their health.

If you detect a serious mold problem in the house that you are considering buying, either by sight or smell, the process of a mold inspection should not be necessary to convince you not to buy. A house with that significant level of mold will eventually require major, costly repairs to bring it back to a healthy condition, with no guarantee that the mold will not reappear in the days to come. However, if you merely suspect a possibility of mold in the house, you can reassure yourself with a mold inspection, which will guide you in your decision to buy or not to buy the house. It is smart to base your ultimate conclusion on the information garnered through a professional inspection on your side.

There are numerous options available to help you discover whether there is a dangerous level of mold in your house. Home inspectors can make you aware of the typical conditions that inherently initiate and promote mold growth, while professional mold inspectors or industrial hygienists can help by conducting intensive tests and inspections. If a less thorough process is needed, you can purchase a quality home test, but understand that the level of detection will be in line with the thoroughness of the test as well as the cost involved.

If you have specific concerns, such as a family member with health issues, then the process of a professional inspection would be valuable.

www.grandrapidsmoldremediation.com