When you were a little kid, were you afraid of terrifying monsters in the closet or evil goblins hiding under your bed? As an adult, you probably don’t believe in supernatural creatures lurking in the dark corners of your room, but without realizing it you may as well shelter a well-known villain threatening your health and your property – mold. Mold can be growing unnoticed in many homes, often hidden inside the walls, behind tiles, under suspended ceilings, and other hidden places. And while it is not likely to turn into a mythical beast that will devastate your place and your life, mold still poses great risks to your health and is really persistent and harmful in many ways. Black mold signs are often difficult to detect until it is too late and the fungus has already spread to a large area in your property and caused damage. It is important to know how to recognize the first signs of mold and to take adequate precautionary measures in order to prevent more substantial damage.

Mold is considered to be a single organism consisting of multicellular fungal filaments. It causes biodegradation of various materials which results in food spoilage and property damage.

It is no secret that mold thrives in humid surroundings and the presence of any small leaks or places with higher moisture in your home can cause the rapid development of mold and mildew. Mold spreads quickly and easily because its spores are very light and easily carried by the air flow. It can contaminate very large areas and often affects even furniture and clothes. The process is usually underway long before you have a visual clue of the problem. Mold growth often begins inside ducts and crawl spaces or behind tiles, wallpaper, or paneling – in places where you cannot see it and remove it immediately to avoid further damage. If you notice warping walls, crumbling plaster or blistering paint, new cracks in your tiles that get deeper, or gaps in the grouts, you may have an imminent mold issue. If the walls or the floor feel wet and softer to the touch, or have inexplicable stains, the alarm should be raised and you need to arrange for immediate mold testing. Persistent musty smell in a well-maintained home, however, is the number one signal for hidden mold growth that cannot be mistaken and should never be ignored. Remember that early detection can prevent great troubles.

Mold spores spread too quickly and too easily. Unless the source of moisture is eliminated immediately, mold will flourish fast and will devastate your living space. Its invisible airborne spores are carried in the air current and they can affect the building materials as well as your personal possessions. Before you know it, your entire home will be contaminated and the damage will get more and more severe every day. As a result, mold remediation will be a tedious and difficult process and can be very expensive because extensive and costly repairs will be required to replace all the damaged materials and restore the good living conditions in your home. The symptoms of mold exposure vary from itchy eyes and bleeding noses to severe coughing and laborious breathing. Even chronic fatigue, headaches, and memory problems can be attributed to mold growth in home. And while not everyone is sensitive to the microbes, they are especially harmful to people suffering from pulmonary diseases and asthma. The health risks posed by mold are not to be underestimated – unexpected health problems can appear or existing ones may be aggravated unless adequate measures are taken to get rid of mold as soon as its presence becomes known.

www.grandrapidsmoldremediation.com